Cheesy Seafood Lasagna
I've always wondered what two of my favorite foods would taste like together. I was able to take My love for pasta as well as seafood to create this dish. I tried it years ago and it wasn't that great but, I honestly think I've perfected it now.
- 12 Noodles 1 (Package) Lasagna
- 4 Tbsp Salted Butter
- 1/2 Cup Finely Chopped Sweet Onion
- 3 Tbsp Flour (For Thickening)
- 2 1/2 Cups Half and half
- 1 Cup Grated Romano Cheese
- 1 Cup Grated Parmesan cheese
- 1.5 Cup Shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 Tsp Salt (To taste)
- 1/4 Tsp Paper (To taste)
- 10 oz Sauteed spinach
- 1/2 Cup Finely Chopped Red bell pepper (For Color Optional)
- 2-3 Cloves Minced garlic
- 8 oz Bay (Small) Scallops
- 12 oz Uncooked, Peeled, and deveined Shimp (Medium)
- 8 oz Wild-caught Crabmeat (Not Imitation) You can buy it already cooked in a can or Jar.
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp minced Garlic
- Preheat Oven to 375 and spray a down 13 by 10-inch glass casserole dish or aluminum foil pan with Cooking spray.
- In a large pot begin boiling water with a little salt to prevent Noodles from sticking together. Once the water comes to a boil place noodles carefully into the pot but, place them all around the pot not all in the same spot. Do not worry the majority of the noodles will be sticking out of the top of the pot but, as they cook they will become softer, and you will be able to push them down into the pot. Cook the noodles for approximately 8-9 mins do not overcook because they will break when placing into the lasagna. You want them to be done but, not broken or soggy. Once done drain water and set to the side. I take them apart and place them on a paper towels because they begin to stick together if they are not separated.
- Now for the sauce melt the butter into a large Skillet. I prefer nonstick because you don't want to burn the cheese sauce. In the skillet add in the onion, bell pepper (optional), Spinach (Optional), and the minced garlic and cook on medium until they are soft and translucent. This takes roughly 4-5 mins. Do not burn your butter or garlic.
- On medium heat add in the flour and begin using a whisk, gradually add in the Half-and-half, allow the sauce to thicken slightly before adding in any more ingredients. When the sauce has thickened more to about the consistency of Heavy whipping cream then begin adding in the cheeses and whisk continually to prevent sticking. You're going to add all of the grated Romano cheese and about half of the parmesan cheese. Make sure to Stir stir stir with the Whisk until all cheese and other ingredients form a sauce. While doing this you will need to use seasonings to your preferred taste. I used Salt, pepper, Slap yo mama. Remember Cheese already has salt in it so always taste it before adding and after adding any seasonings with salt. Turn to Low heat or Off until ready to use again.
- Now Preparing the seafood. You will want to make sure all seafood has been thawed in Coldwater Do not use hot water it will cook the fish. After all of the fish is thawed out you need to make sure all of the fish is dry and that you get out as much water as possible. You can start by taking the shells off of the shrimp and placing the shrimp onto paper towels. Do the same with the scallops and then as paper towels get wet remove them and place onto dry paper towels. It's important to get out all of the water to prevent watery soggy lasagna. The crab meat should come in a container or can I recommended rinsing the crab meat and doing the same process. Then take paper towels place on top and push down slightly to make sure to get out any extra water. Place meat into separate bowls.
- In a pan on medium heat take about 2 tbsp butter and 1tsp(1 clove) garlic and place shrimp and scallops into the pan. Season to your taste. I used Cajun seasoning, Cayenne, pepper, a small amount of old bay, and a small amount of lemon pepper. Cook until pink this should take about 1-2 mins to turn them overcook for about another 30 seconds and remove. You do not want them raw but, you do not want them overcooked either. You want them cooked to the point where the small amount of heat from the oven will do the rest of the cooking. Put the Shrimp, scallops, and the juices (if you like the taste) into your sauce. Then add in the crab meat into the sauce and stir it all up.
- To Layer the pasta you will need to put a small amount of sauce in the bottom of the pan then place 3-4 noodles depending on the pan size, then some sauce with the spinach and everything and spread it around making sure you meat and ingredients are not just in one area and then more noodles. Make sure to save some sauce without meat or spinach for the top. The very top layer should be sauce and cheese. You can place some of the Mozzerella cheese throughout but, the majority of the mozzarella and the remaining parmesan cheese are for the top.
- Bake in the oven for about 20-25 mins. The top of the lasagna will not look pretty. Then turn on the broiler and broil the lasagna for about 3 mins to get the top cheese nice and golden and crispy. Be careful, do not leave the lasagna in the oven on Broil for more than 4 mins or your lasagna will be burnt. Your only using the broiler to make the top look pretty.
The Very first time I attempted this recipe I did not make sure to dry out my seafood ingredients and it came out watery. In addition I did not cook my noodles long enough and they got stuck together. To ensure this doesn't happen make sure to remove water with paper towels. Make sure to mix noodles while cooking and make sure not to place noodles into the pot until the water is boiling. In addition if you like more sauce double the sauce. Get creative and add more vegatables or more types of seafood. This is based On the types of seafood I enjoy.